Thursday, August 25, 2011

Monday August 22, 2011: "you is kind, you is smart, you is important."


 so, i'm way tempted to just say "hmm not my fault i've had three late posts in a matter of four days" and excuse it all away but i can't because it totally is my fault. i knew the internet was going to shut off at midnight last night and also, i totally let myself fall asleep earlier than planned. i was laying in bed, super tired, with my laptop and i started to get cold so i got under the covers and closed my eyes, even though i knew that meant i was going to fall asleep. and i totally did. with my contacts in, makeup on, teeth unbrushed (grooooss, i know. i brushed them first thing in the morning though, no worries), and clothes still on. i woke up this morning with my laptop in my bed and my eyes drier than (insert horrible simile about the southern utah desert).
well, now that i have that out of the way: last night i went and saw the help with jerrick. at first we thought we were going to be the only two people in there, which made me feel all cool, like they were putting the movie on just for us but then four more couples came and ruined that. which totally sucked because being alone in a movie theater is the best. but you know what's better than that? the movie the help.
guys if you know me you know that normally i strongly dislike movies that make you feel good or cause you to examine the comfortable ways of thinking that society has unknowingly, or knowingly, instilled in us despite how wrong they may be. however i was definitely a fan of this movie. the three leading females were all so brilliant; we all know i have a strangely intense love for emma stone but the two other females who played opposite of her were so compelling. there's one part of the movie where the main maid Aibileen is getting the little girl she looks after get ready for the day and she just looks her in the eyes and says, "you is kind, you is smart, you is important." let me tell you, if i had the capabilities to cry during a movie that line alone would have done me in. actually the entire relationship aibileen has with that little girl is so precious and heart wrenching. even the "villains" of this movie were so horrible that they were brilliant. the way they treated everyone who was below them really helped me open my eyes to how i treat others. when a movie is able to do that in a way that inspires their audience instead of alienating them, i'd have to say that's a success.  if you haven't gathered by now, i definitely recommend this movie. 
  
i'll leave you with another random favorite song. my little brother showed this song to me. i never thought i'd say i actually enjoyed songs that he liked but here we are, agreeing on something. 
  

1 comment:

Macy said...

Read the book! It's even better!