Friday, October 7, 2011

A complaintive tale of two classes.


So I was sitting in my 2D design class the other day and I started getting really irritated (probably because my teacher decided to go through all the colors of the rainbow in the form of a convoluted, twenty minute powerpoint to tell us how those colors affect the human brain (I swear he just copied it from a Wikipedia article though).  Here's one of his informational jewels: did you know purple is seen as the most erotic color to both women and men? No? Yeah judging from the chatter that, that little tidbit incited from the class, neither did anyone else. When he said that we all just kind of looked around like... no, that doesn't really apply to me. Gross.) so in that frame of mind, I decided now is a good time to start writing a gratitude entry.
Let’s begin: I'm weirdly grateful for good friends and the sky. a week or so ago I convinced a few unsuspecting people, who have the misfortune of living around me, that the northern lights would be visible up in the mountains here in Logan (granted I did have a little bit of internet research to back me up). We didn't see any northern lights but the stars were amazing. At one point we saw a shooting star that was so bright that the two people who were still in the cab of the truck thought we were taking pictures with a camera. Yes, that bright. I guess for all it's faults, Logan sure does have a gorgeous night sky. That is, when it isn't covered in angry grey clouds that spend their days dumping precipitation of all horrible sorts on us all. And there I go complaining again. Vicious cycle. 
Alright: wanna hear a fun story? Ok. So I'm in an art history class, and the class itself isn't too bad. My professor makes sure to take the time to not only explain to us what the artwork is about, but also the whole story behind the culture of the time. Which is awesome because I love learning about Greek mythology. Wanna hear a reason that class isn't awesome? My professor is the most intimidating and high strung, 5'3 person I've ever met. Our classroom is an amphitheater of sorts, there are three sections of seating with rows in between them which sit on a gradual decline that leads to the front of the classroom where one would normally choose to reside when lecturing. But not her. No, when she's lecturing she walks around the room, up and down those two isles staring down whomever is brave enough to look her back in the eye. Now, normally I'm really, really bad with eye contact but for some reason the very first day in that class I decided I wasn't going to be the one who looked away from these impromptu staring contests. And I've actually been pretty good at holding to that. *pats self on back* Anyway, she's super high strung. This week our lectures have all been filed under "classical antiquities" which apparently means we're learning about the Greeks and their strange obsession with depicting naked bodies in marble. So I'm in class and there's a glaring collage of large marble statues baring... everything coming from the overhead projector which takes up the entire wall. My professor was on the other side of the room, staring down this hippie kid who is always late to class but he seems to know all the answers, which doesn't appear to sit well with my professor. At about this time the room was becoming a nice toasty temperature (the heater was on because it was unbelievably cold outside. I could see my breath at 5 in the afternoon. Not ok.) and I was doing my best to fight off sleep, so i decided to lean back in my chair. The chairs in this room have this handy bendy mechanism on it's back making stretching 110% more effective than normal hard boring chairs. Mid perfect stretch something falls out from under me and I hear a nice, loud snapping noise. My chair broke. Not only did I jerk back a little bit from the break-away but my entire row, of two ultra artsy girls and my cousin Ashley, shook as well. The two girls sitting a few seats down from me gasped and started talking slash giggling which so perfectly interrupted my high strung professor. She looked in our direction, stopped lecturing about the naked man on the projector and asked what our problem was. The girls next to me told her my chair broke at the same time that I, in my ever smooth state, decided the best way to down play the situation was to wave her question off and to tell her to keep on teaching and not worry about this. 
If I thought the room was toasty before my little charade, boy was I wrong. The weirdest part of it all is, I wasn't really that embarrassed by it.
Want to know something that I am a little embarrassed by? I'm slowly becoming a Maroon 5 fan. I never thought I'd say that. This is the third song by them I have gone out of my way to download within the past month. Ugh. but here it is. And unfortunately, it's good.  
Also, I tried really hard to use correct grammar in this post. Are you proud of me, Poppyseed?

1 comment:

tifsong said...

i love maroon 5. i have since they were Kara's flowers. and i don't know why i have to be a closet fan. i won't be anymore, for you.