Monday, September 19, 2011

it's late, i took a sleeping pill, and i'm probably going to regret posting this tomorrow. so you should read this while you still can.

i have been fighting off writing about this for the past few days because i generally don't like to talk about stuff like this. i refuse to get too specific which leads people to ask me more questions (like that little sentence didn't spike curiosity. good one, maria.) but i feel like it's about time i said something. 

prayer works. there. i said it. 

as a few of you know, i've had an interesting couple of weeks that was even further complicated friday night. being the good little mormon that i am, i wrote a pleading email to my missionary brother for advice and ask him to say a few prayers on my behalf. i got his response on saturday morning and it totally made me giggle (especially because when i read his emails i can hear him actually saying those things in my head and it's a little weird to hear goofy, fro-headed him talking about spiritual things... but i digress) "i have been praying for you and i won't forget to further pray for you because i know without a doubt in my mind that prayer works."

by seven o'clock that night the things i'd asked jesse to pray about for me had already started to solve themselves. and here, only two days later, i have no doubt in my mind that certain things are in the workings to bring both his and my prayers completely to pass. 

there's a saying that my mom had hung up in our house when i was younger by gordon b hinkley
"when life gets too hard to stand kneel."
although i'd read that a million times i never really thought out it fully until recently. not only is that a simple way to state a simple truth but the english major in me love the saying as well because it's direct and creates a beautiful image in my mind.

being the stubborn child i am (i have a feeling i've already gone through this with you) i like to think that i can do things all on my own, when in reality, that's a stupid thing to think. i'm always praising technology because it makes the trivial things in life so much easier, when in reality, that's exactly what prayer is. i am baffled by people who insist on bypassing modern conveniences because it's so obvious that they're going to struggle  more when that's exactly what i'm doing to myself. 

i feel like this has only been a bunch of disconnected thoughts but i think that'll have to do because i'm on my lunch break from school and these ice cubes i'm eating (yes, i'm STILL eating ice cubes. don't get mad) aren't going to tie me over until 3:30. 

also, can i just say i'm SO excited for this week :) things are honestly looking up. 


2 comments:

tifsong said...

i like you.

mom said...

Just know that you have 5 other people here praying for you everyday!We have felt that everything would work out for you, just wasn't sure of the timing. Remember: Always look towards the "Son" and the shadows will fall behind you!" XOX