Saturday, April 2, 2011

A post in which Maria goes from complaining to story telling.

I can't help but wonder if I even want this thing. I'm spread so thin along so many useless sites on the internet, what makes this worth my time? Not enough of my friends spend time blogging so I find it to be very pretentious of me to expect my life to be important enough to people to create a whole website around it. At least that's how it seems tonight. But I'm pretty sure we can blame some of this optimistic attitude on the fact that I've spent 4 straight days trying to wear my procrastinating tenacity down enough to start writing my 10 page story for my fiction class. It's due on Tuesday. I've written 250 words.

Yeah.

And to add to the list I have a presentation due on Monday on the elements of webpage design that pertains to the, ever lacking, Beaver Mountain Ski Resort's webpage. It's supposed to be the product of a semester's worth of research, one that I've supposedly done with two other individuals in my class. I haven't even started on it yet.

Or maybe we can chalk all those feelings to the fact that I've decided to change my major after a year of very-not-free tuition. This whole semester my teachers have been telling me take notes, this is the type of menial, uneventful, and completely-void-of-any-personality writing you'll be doing for the rest of your life. Forget writing textbooks and memos. I don't care where the comma goes after an in-text citation as dictated by MLA formatting for scholarly papers. I'm planning on drawing pictures the rest of my life.

There. I said it.

I went and visited the advisor for the art department on Tuesday. I'm not going to lie and tell you that it was a pleasant experience. I can't tell you she had that friendly gleam in her eye, or that she took one look at me and proclaimed me the prodigal daughter and that I was finally home in the major I'd been searching for.

In fact, it was quite the opposite.

She looked at my credits, my ridiculously long list of completely unrelated credits, and told me I would be cutting it close to almost losing my scholarship and instate tuition before I graduate.  She had a bland, blunt hair cut that mirrored her appraisal of me. The graphic design program is very competitive, she said. So you might want to be prepared for when you're not accepted. (well she might as well have said for when you're not accepted) I asked how many were accepted

15.

Out of 16,000 students at USU, that's a frighteningly small number. I started trying to weigh all the competitiveness I could muster inside me, which my high school volleyball coach can attest isn't much at all, to see if I cared enough to be one of those 15. I swallowed and asked how many applied- 30.

Yeeeeah... I think I'll take my chances.

I actually said that to her. 50% acceptance rate. That's the flip of a coin. Writing dry text books vs designing graphicly the rest of my career.

Do I want to designate another year's tuition to the idea that I might win a coin flip?
It was on my walk back to the shuttle that I remembered my homework assignment for Eng 3410 that was due for the next day

Write a 250-500 word explanation of how US Mint proof coins are made for an audience of 4-6 graders that will use the material in both civics and science (metallurgy & industry) lessons.


That is one chance I am totally willing to take. Graphic design, here I come.

2 comments:

BEAU said...

Technical writing would drive me insane. The inane tedium of college "education" amplified. No thank you. I think any switch was a good switch.

maria said...

you took the words right out of my mouth, beau. i'm glad you agree.