Saturday, February 4, 2012

traveler's journal: entry two.

so, it's my second full day of being here and wouldn't you believe it, i already can't think of anything to write about.

oh! want to know something fun? ok. so not only do you need a power adapter for electronics but some also require a power converter thing. guess who didn't know that? yeah... guess who's bathroom light and bathroom plug no longer works... yeah... not my brightest moment. (brightest... get it! because the light is broken! ha, i'm so funny.)

so instead of stories i'll give you a list of things i've accomplished today:
*i purchased things so i can live like a normal human being, such as shampoo, body wash, and bread.
*i finally unpacked all my schtuff. it seems so unfair that i felt like i'd brought so much with me but once i'd unpacked it seems like there really wasn't all that much at all.
speaking of my stuff, wanna see my bedroom? ok
quaint isn't it? quite. i think so too.
in retrospect maybe i should have taken a picture of the other side of the room as well so you could see the entire area, but i didn't. maybe tomorrow? i share this room with another girl, who i actually haven't met yet. which i find kind of unnerving. hopefully she shows up before i take off on my travels. 

*i fell asleep at 10:30 last night and i woke up at 8:15 all by myself! i didn't even set an alarm or anything. high fiving a million angels!
*i actually recognized where i was today. i can't even tell you how happy that makes me. i'm slowly becoming more and more comfortable with the bus system here.

things that are different from home:
*instead of waiting to be seated at a restaurant you seat yourself. also, when it comes time to leave you just pay the waitress, and she gives you your change from the a little money pouch around her waist. you don't get a receipt and for all i know it's not documented in any way either.
*they play good music here. i've heard my favorite song "somebody i used to know" playing at least 3 times all ready, and "young blood" by the naked and famous, which is yet another one of my absolute favorite songs, was playing in the street today.
*either american's drink faster than europeans or i'm just an incredibly fast drinker. by the time i was half way done with my meal i was already out of my soda and the people i was with had hardly even made a dent in theirs.
*also people here walk a lot faster than americans, which is awesome. because now my stride finally fits in.
*people walk everywhere but they also smoke. i don't understand how people who seem to be so environment friendly and health conscious can condone smoking. makes no sense.
*this is going to make me sound really girly, but everyone seems so fashion forward here. normally i don't get too terribly excited over fashion nonsense but the shoes here are freaking awesome. it's a good thing that i'm determined to limit my paying customer interactions otherwise i'm pretty sure i'd spend all my food money on unnecessary clothing items.
*speaking of shopping: the oh so popular store forever21 is called forever18 over here. who in the world would want to be 18 forever!? gah, that would be awful.

today while shopping for some necessities a young boy skipped past me and marissa counting the check out lines in english. both me and marissa turned to each other and got way excited. turns out his mother was in line behind us and they were from new jersey. days where i've met someone from the USA: 2/2. i wouldn't mind if this trend continues.

wow, for not having much to say this sure is long. apologies?

1 comment:

Berkley Anne Sumner said...

No apologies, I loved it. I would hate to be 18 forever, and us american's with our 32 oz drink's are huge drinkers for sure.