Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lets break my comfort zone, everybody together now!

So while I was brushing my teeth to get ready for bed I realized I didn't smell anything. Normally that's a good thing but it alarmed me because that means my apartment no longer has that distinct Europe smell. My nose has finally acclimated to it. And it's not just that, but my building's doors no longer confuse me. I've finally learned which way each individual one opens. And when going somewhere I no longer have to take five minutes planning my course, but instead I have the buses memorized and know exactly when to leave and what connections to take (alright that one isn't entirely true. I got lost just last week but still, I've made significant improvements).

I realized I've been here for 71 days. That means I only have 79 days to go. My time here is nearly half over. This brought about on an onslaught of overbearing fears that maybe I'm not doing enough. That I'm not fully taking every advantage of the opportunity that I've been given to come here. That I'm going to leave wanting. That I'm going to leave with regret. So, in order to avoid that I've decided to give myself a challenge.

Every few days I would like to do something that puts me outside of my comfort zone, if only just a little bit. It can either take ten seconds or two hours, doesn't matter. Just so long as it's something that new that's going to help me grow just a little bit more. The only problem now is I can't think of enough goals. And that's where you come in, Mom and the three other people who actually read this. I need ideas. Help me think of simple things I can do to take full advantage of my time here. Ready? Go!
Here are some that I've already come up with:


Goals to avoid becoming complacent: 
order food completely in german
initiate conversation with someone i don't know
take a bus i've never taken before and ride it's route
be a tourist for a day where i live
go to the castle
carry my camera all day 
actually study in the library
get a picture of me with each of the people in my life here.
visit a temple
cook an elaborate dinner with friends
go on a run
sit alone by the river for an hour or two
carry a journal around all day and write 
visit an antique store
finally send off my post cards (i am the worst you guys, i'm so sorry)
go on a day long adventure with Rakel -by Rakel, obviously
see a sunrise -Dad
visit Sleeping Beauty's Castle- Mom
take a sketch book around for a day and draw everything -Evelyn
Go to Wattens
visit the zoo
Hike a mountain -Johanna

as i get more i'll add them here, and maybe i'll even include the name of the person who suggested it to me. such an honor! i know.



lets end on a positive note: here are a few of my new favorite things, my collection of post cards and fruit tea :)

2 comments:

Mom said...

hmm-mm...How about trying a different food everyday. Or...Get to know a different interesting fact about Austria everyday. Or you could share an interesting fact about america to someone in Germany everyday! I don't know...let me think about it.

R.Sky said...

to spend a day with rakel: to make cartwheels (stars), go barefoot on the grass, talk about our dreams and fears, jump into a river or a lake fully-clothed, eat ice-cream and of course take (make haha) lot of pictures of it ;)