Monday, March 5, 2012

my second, first day of school.

5 months of being free from thinking critically, not having to manage my time wisely, or worry about being coherent at 8 AM, has sadly come to an end. school officially started today. even though i am thoroughly exhausted, which is partially due to it being 1 AM (my poor roommate, whom by the way has gone to sleep and i just so happen to have the loudest keyboard ever so i'm going to make this uncharacteristically short) and partially to me not being able to complete a few of those tasks, namely the coherent one, i am making myself write this now because i know if i wait it'll never happen (just like my blog post i have outlined from my rome trip... which is still unwritten.).

alright here is my list of things from my first day of school:

  • my intro to american studies class is taught by the ghost of steve jobs. no joke. he's got the black turtle neck, glasses, and strange jeans down to a "t". 
  • during the lecture people randomly got up and left, like a lot. and they weren't subtle about it either. every time someone left there was definitely a distraction. 
  • we mentioned religion more than i thought possible in one class period, and  then i realized there isn't the separation of church and state over here. it's still weird though.
  • after the lecture ended all the students started simultaneously knocking on their desks. it took me a good 10-15 seconds to realize what was going on.
  • i totally scored points with pseudo-steve jobs by telling him i was an english foreign exchange student. for reasons unknown the professors here are almost enamored with students from america.

because my first two hours of human interaction were completely in english i think i upset the german to english ratio of language in my life, and therefore i think i made the foreign exchange student gods mad at me. after my two hour class i managed to encounter all of the non-english speakers working at every store i visited for the rest of the day. i'm getting really good at talking slow and doing a lot of pointing.

and for my closing paragraph i'll tell you something i probably shouldn't admit, but it's late and i don't really care. so, i like to play this game where i look at someone and try to tell what language they speak or where they're from. i realize how superficial this is, not to mention insanely inaccurate, however i just can't help myself. it was a lot more fun to while traveling.

speaking of traveling, i edited a few more pictures tonight. so i'm just going to leave this here...




No comments: