Sunday, July 24, 2011

I'm pretentious. Lets watch a movie.

I'm afraid I've been ruined. All these English classes I've taken this year have turned me into that film-snob girl that everyone hates in the theater. You know, the one who turns up her nose and says something overly rhetorical about how the dialog is simplistic or how the symbolism is so blatant any idiot would pick up on it, or about how the main character is as static as Bella Swann or any other Kristin Stewart portrayal, for that matter. I can feel my friends cringe when I ask them what they thought about a movie.

But while we're on the topic of movies worth being pretentious over; I watched Brick ,a modern day film noir set in a high school, at the beginning of the summer. Luckily for me I learned about film noir in one of my many English classes last semester otherwise I think I would have been bored out of my mind. It got me thinking though, even though the first half of the movie was kind of very slow, and the dialog required close attention to understand what was being said due to the intense 50's-esque crime novel slang they all used, I still sat through it. There's something captivating enough in the idea of a promise of enjoyment at the very end of something that i'll willingly subject myself to two hours of blank stares and question marks. What quality is that in a person that makes them sit through something they don't enjoy because there's a small chance it'll be worth it in the end? Ha, I think I just answered my own question.
Aaaanyway, if any of the seven of you who read this have movie suggestions for me, please share below. I need a beautiful, intelligent film to watch.

Here's a small list of movies that I've found beautifully stimulating, visually or story wise.
Lets add to it, yes?

1 comment:

AmmieBeth said...

I liked an education a lot too but I haven't seen the other ones!